These versatile sausages are really satisfying – the flavour reminds me of cheese covered hot dogs – they’re delicious as part of a roast dinner or simply in a sandwich or as a burger. This recipe has been adapted from the original on the Exceedingly Vegan website
• 100g walnuts
• 250g chestnut mushrooms
• 5 sun-dried tomatoes in oil
• 1 tbsp miso paste
• 75g oats ground into flour
• 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
• 1 tsp thyme or marjoram
• 2 tbsp nooch
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add 100g of walnuts into a food processor and blend until you get a coarse flour. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Repeat this for your oats (using a blender or a bullet) and add to the bowl containing the ground walnuts
3. Dry fry your mushrooms until the liquid has evaporated.
4. Add to the food processor together with 5 sun-dried tomatoes and 1 tbsp miso paste. Process until it turns into a smooth paste.
5. Add to the walnuts and oat flour and mix together until you get a sticky dough-like mix. Form small balls with your hands and then roll them out to create small sausage shapes or press larger balls into patties for burgers.
6. Cook in the oven at 170 for 20-30 mins or until piping hot through to the middle.
By Denyse King