My vegan citrus curd pie topped with fluffy vegan meringue is a refreshing and palate cleansing treat any time of the year. I created the recipe by accident when I was making a lemon meringue pie and didn’t have enough lemon juice – life can be wonderful like that.
Ingredients for pie crust:
- 155g plain flour
- pinch salt
- 100g vegan margarine (weigh portion and place in freezer for 15 mins before use for crispier crust)
- 45ml water
Ingredients for the lemon curd:
- 175g caster sugar
- 2tbsp corn flour
- 2 lemons juiced and zested (add enough water to bring liquid up to 220ml)
Ingredients for orange curd:
- 125g caster sugar
- 2tbsp corn flour
- 2 oranges juiced and zested (add enough unsweetened bottled orange juice to bring liquid up to 220ml)
Ingredients for the meringue:
- water from one tin of chickpeas or butterbeans (the finished meringue doesn’t taste like bean juice, promise).
- 60g sugar
- 1tsp vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 170C and begin making your pie crust by combining flour, salt and hard margarine and work them together quickly using your fingers until contents resemble bread crumbs, then add water and mix to form a ball. Press this into the base and sides of your pie tin, poke holes all over the crust with a fork and bake for 40-45 mins.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool while you make your curds.
- Make your lemon curd before your orange curd
- Mix the corn flour with the sugar in a saucepan then add the lemon juice, zest and water and cook over med heat until curd thickens. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before pouring into your pie shell.
- Leave to cool for ten mins then make your orange curd the same way as your lemon curd and in the same pan.
- Once thick, remove from heat and allow this to cool for 5 mins then pour your orange curd gently on top of your lemon curd.
- Leave to cool for 20 mins after which you need to turn oven on to preheat to 190 C while you make your meringue:
- Pour chickpea or butterbean water in bowl and whisk until soft peaks are formed. This takes about twice the time it takes to make this with egg whites so you can make this by whisking by hand but you’ll need stamina.
- Add the vanilla and a 1/4 of the sugar to the meringue and whisk until absorbed. Add sugar in same amount as previous until all the sugar has been combined. You can tell this has happened if you take a pinch of the meringue and rub it between your fingers, it should feel smooth rather than gritty.
- Pipe the meringue on top of your cooled curd and then bake at 190 for 10 mins. Leave to cool before serving.
Refrigerate if you have any leftover pie.
By Denyse King